Sleep deficiency suppresses the immune system and libido, decreases productivity, and may lead to disorders such as depression, chronic fatigue, headaches and heart disease. Insomnia has also shown to decrease productivity rates, cause mood swings, and possible weight-gain.
There are many attributing causes why many adults do not get a proper amount of sleep.
- Weight - Studies have found a link between obesity and insomnia.
- Age - Sleep hours are reduced as we age, which is partly due to the decreased secretion of hormones such as Melatonin Growth Hormone, the excessive secretion of Cortisol (adrenal gland during stress), from decreased or increased secretion of Thyroid hormones, and from an imbalance of the sex hormones.
- Stress/Anxiety - If a patient is severely depressed, most likely they are also suffering from insomnia (some statistics estimate around 90%). Anxiety also plays a big role with estimates as high as 44% of those with an anxiety disorder are unable to get the recommended amount of sleep.
Numerous other causes may exist which result in poor sleep, such as; vitamin and Copper deficiencies, a normal blood sugar balance, and various nutritional deficiencies. Presence of a poor exercise regimen, underlying breathing problems such as Sleep Apnea and COPD, an existing heavy metal burden, or the excessive intake of stimulants such as caffeine or decongestants also affect sleeping patterns. Back to Top
- Trouble falling asleep
- Waking up too early
- Feeling tired after waking
- Feeling grouchy, sleepy, or anxious
- Trouble falling back asleep
This is not a complete list and if you are experiencing these symptoms it is not guaranteed you have insomnia. Back to Top
Solving the insomnia-problem is undertaken by eliminating any causative factors that may be contributing, advising about an appropriate diet, and taking vitamins and herbals that assist in sleeping. Nerve and muscle relaxers are added to the treatment, and advice is rendered concerning an appropriate exercise regimen that also helps treat insomnia. The doctor is dedicated to finding the source of the problem not just treating the symptoms so that each patient can achieve optimal health. Back to Top
Learn more about how the Houston Wellness Clinic treats Insomnia.Request Consultation
If we fill our hours with regrets of yesterday and with worries of tomorrow, we have no today in which to enjoy our existence. Seize the day, and take control of your health and life. How you are going to live those tomorrows will depend on how you act and choose today. - George Allibone M.D.